Friday, May 20, 2011

Take a Deep Breath, and Never Look Back

I retired today.  In response to hearing those words, most people would say, "Congratulations!"  However, I don't really feel any joy yet in what I have just done.  I retired after teaching English in a technical college for 29 years; the first eight were on a part-time basis, and the last 21 were as a full-time instructor.  For the most part, I enjoyed what I did.  I worked hard, got paid well, and felt a true sense of satisfaction when my students learned something that would help them better their lives.  I am only 57, and I leave my job with a true sense of having not completed everything I wanted to do.  Today should be a day of joy and celebration, yet I am heartbroken.

My friend Rose Marie knows of my feelings, and she asked me why I felt the way I do.  I wish I really knew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment