Wednesday, June 20, 2012

New Windows and Visitors

Yesterday (Tuesday) brought about a complete transformation for part of the house as the window installers (Chris and Frank) came to start the new window installation.  We chose Simenton double-hung windows for most of the house, but since I wanted slide-by windows for the kitchen, we had to go with a different manufacturer called PGT for the hurricane rating on those windows.  That is important since the front of the house -- kitchen and master bedroom -- face west. We chose the same window configuration for the master to make them match and give the house a cohesive look.

Chris removing the old aluminum windows. Say goodbye...
The installers started with the Florida room windows, and since that room has more windows (and more energy loss) than any other room in the house -- perhaps with the exception of the floor-to-ceiling louvers next to the front door -- we were glad they chose that room first.  As you can see by the attached pictures, the transformation of 1960's ugly aluminum to 2012 hurricane-resistant, low-E, double-paned, white vinyl-clad windows was remarkable.  The old windows were so decrepit that they came out quite easily.  I was horrified to see that they were held in by eight tiny little screws, and I think a wish and a prayer.  The new windows are bolted into the cement block structure with 16 three-inch Tapcon screws.  They are going nowhere for generations to come.

The new windows: secure and clean!
Chris was very meticulous in his installation techniques which pleased us both immensely.  We believe the windows are installed securely and will protect us and our children and hopefully grandchildren for many years.

In one day's time, Chris and Frank were able to install the six windows in the Florida room, the two windows in the guest room, and the single windows in each of the bathrooms. Ten windows in one day was more than I expected, but they worked hard and steadily all day long. They plan on completing the three master bedroom windows, the two kitchen windows, the garage window, and one of the four doors they need to install by the end of today.

Sam, the wood stork. What a bird-brain!
While everyone was busy working on the house, we had a new visitor to our yard.  I am surprised because we were making lots of noise, and everyone was running in and out of the house constantly.  Apparently, though, curiosity got the better of this old bird because when I looked out the window, this almost four-foot tall wood stork was walking through the front yard toward the house. I went outside to get some pictures, and as I approached him, the bird actually walked toward me instead of keeping his distance! I snapped some quick shots and then went into the house.

"Don't feed him," Frank said. "If you do, you will never get rid of the damn thing.  He will be in your yard every day."

Now storks either have to the the dumbest or the smartest bird around.  Apparently someone in the neighborhood must have been feeding him because when I looked out the front door, I almost had a heart attack. There he was, standing on my front porch about two feet away from me.  That bird -- I call him Sam -- was huge!  If I stood next to him, his head would be almost even with my shoulders.  I say they are dumb because they are not afraid of humans, and if someone wanted to throttle him, he would be easy prey. (If he keeps visiting my front porch, may be the one ready to throttle him.  After all, I have a very large crock pot!) I say he may be smart because his approachability probably is what prompted someone around here to feed him.

Stephanie just texted us that she is on the plane on her way to Florida.  While the welcome sign will be out for her and for the window installers today, I certainly do not need any more visits from our literally bird-brained guest of yesterday.


2 comments:

  1. Generally people like aliminium doors in their house as it looks attractive and secured. This blog is vry informative. Thanks for sharing the information with us Aluminum Door Louvers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a great idea that you chose the double hung window for most of the house! What I like the most about this type of window is that it is so easy to clean. With those windows around your house, cleaning and maintenance will definitely a breeze. Not to mention the fact that double hung windows are very effective in improving the ventilation of a space.

    **Li Ayers

    ReplyDelete