Sunday, June 14, 2015

Summer Snow

Although we have not been killing ourselves with major remodeling projects this summer, we have not completely turned into three-toed sloths either. I admit that health issues, cold weather (whoever heard of 40-degree temperatures in June?!), and family obligations all have interfered with our gardening progress.

I have spent a couple of mornings digging around where the trees once stood in our front garden.  Yes, we removed the main stumps, but what was left behind were numerous smaller branches of stumps and a dense network of web-like roots.  Four large garbage bags of roots later, we finally have the garden cleaned out enough to choose new plants.  We did have to get the truck back into hauling mode one last time to remove some stubborn larger roots, but we are finally to the point of going to the nursery this week to buy some type of vegetation for the now empty area.

Once we took out all of the trees, I discovered a small section of house next to the gutter drain pipe that had not seen daylight for many years.  The cobwebs and dirt in the area were thick.  Not only did I need a broom to clear out the worst of it, but I needed a bucket of water and a good scrub brush to find the yellow siding under all of the gunk.  The whole house needs a scrub-down.  We have discussed buying a power washer for this house also.

Yesterday we spent a cold, cloudy, eventually rainy day celebrating Owen's second birthday. However, the food was hot, tasty, and plentiful, and we had a good time seeing relatives while watching Owen open his gifts.  Toy trucks, a new tricycle, and a new wagon were the hits of the day.
Owen unwraps the wagon we bought him.
A new, red tricycle from Chris' parents also
was a big hit!

Right now I am not excited about spending much time outside.  It is snowing in my neighborhood.  This snow, however, is nothing more than seed pods falling from the multitude of cottonwood trees in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately, one of those giant trees (in fact, the tallest one on this street), happens to be growing in my back yard.  So why am I reluctant to go outside? The trees are messy, the "cotton" is everywhere, and I am allergic to the darn trees!  I am already tired of scratchy eyes, a runny nose, and sneezing multiple times a day each time I venture outdoors.  I know that the "cotton" will soon be finished, but not before my back yard will look like a heard of sheep exploded!
Fist-sized clumps of "cotton" gather in
my front garden.
The "cotton" seed pods gather at the front
edge the porch.  Everything looks messy
until the season is finished.

The only good thing about this season is the fact that rain is predicted almost every day this week, and when it rains, the "cotton" gets washed into the grass and no longer blows around.  I really don't want to be rained inside all week, but I don't want to sneeze all week either.

Yesterday we almost froze at Owen's party, and today the temperature reached 82 with a 66 dew point which means outside was hot and muggy. Only in Wisconsin...  We worked together to mow the lawn since the rest of the week is supposed to be wet; however, that forecast also might delay our plans to plant anything new in the front garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment