Saturday, February 10, 2018

Spring Ideas

While Rick has been busy trying to get coats of paint on our new outdoor chairs, I have been busy with my sewing machine stitching outdoor cushions for the chairs. The "inner" part of the cushions is weather-resistant foam, and the outer covers are sun and rain resistant. I made the cushions so they are removable and hopefully can withstand a few washing cycles.  We will bring the cushions in each time we are finished using them, but I am sure that eventually they will get soiled or dirty.  So be it.

Rick likes the toucan on this cushion.

Two small birds highlight "my" cushion.

At this time of the year, average temperatures generally are in the mid-70's, but after a rather cool winter, we are expecting temperatures in the low 80's for the next few days.  That put us in the mood to think about our spring landscape plans and if Rick's hand will be able to tolerate laying edging pavers around new gardens.

This morning I went out to our backyard to see how my frost-nipped crotons were fairing.  I planted the plants in January, and then weeks of cool or downright cold temperatures caused all of the leaves to drop from the plants.  I was left with just "twigs" in the ground, but a woman at the nursery assured me they might bloom again, and they are doing so.  I cannot wait to see how these plants bloom once the buds all grow back into leaves.

Small, green buds adorn the bare stems of
this croton plant.

A couple of leaves survive on this croton while
new buds burst forth from the center stem.

Since today was so nice, we packed a picnic and headed for the Florida Botanical Gardens for a little more garden inspiration.  Lunch in the palm garden, next to a bubbling fountain, was peaceful and delightful. Since it is early, early spring here, not much was in bloom.  We saw one species of pink azaleas that was outstanding, but the rest are just bare bushes yet.

Bright red camellia caught our eye as a possibility for our west or south gardens. Apparently, camellia also come in yellow or in white.

Camellia might find a place in our garden.

We also found Princess Flowers; their vibrant purple flowers were gorgeous. These, too, are a possibility.

I wonder why they named this species the
Princess Flower.

Gladys would look good with this flower
in her gardens.

And although I don't know where I would put it, the vine garden section identified for me the Flame Vine.  We have a tree in the neighborhood that is covered in this vine.  The whole tree seems to be a huge flame ablaze with the bright orange flowers.  Rick isn't too excited about vines, so we will have to see where we might incorporate this vine on a small trellis.

Perhaps a trellis by our back sheds would look
good covered with this vine.

The sculpture garden is a part of the Wedding Garden, and inside the sculpture garden I spotted a mischievous little bear trying to peek over the garden wall.  I thought Owen would enjoy the pictures because the bear reminded me of Winnie the Pooh.

Hm-m.  What's on the other side of the wall?  

That same garden had a Powder-Puff tree.  As the name implies, the tree was covered with four-inch-wide powder-puff blooms. The tree was wonderful to view but was alive with bees and wasps in practically every bloom.  Even in the picture I took, the bloom housed a fat, happy bee gathering nectar.

A bee nestles in the center of the powder -puff bloom.

Our first task still is to choose an edging paver with which we can outline the gardens.  Once we make that choice, we can start to choose the shrubs and flowers that will add some curb appeal to Gladys as she faces the street.


No comments:

Post a Comment