Friday, January 31, 2014

Possessed

I think some evil spirit has possessed my husband because he is absolutely driven to get the work done at a super-human pace.  By the way, I checked.  When we were hanging clothes back in the master closet, I did not find any tights or red capes with a big S on them.  Nope.  Superman he is not, even if he is trying to act that way.

Nice weather is predicted for the weekend, so we have a chance actually to get outside and to start some of that work.  I just mentioned that we could finally get out, and he said that he would not work outside until the inside work was complete.  I said that was crazy.  The doors would wait to be painted until we had cold weather or rain; we should take advantage of every 70-something temperature we could find before we once again are faced with the 80s and 90s. Nope.  Hee won't listen to reason.  He somehow feels that he needs to get everything finished inside before Stephanie comes next week, so he is killing himself to meet that goal.
Everything fits in the closet with room to spare!  Yahoo!

Before I forget, I wanted to post some pictures of our master closet with our actual clothes in it.  I am thrilled with all of the storage space and with the fact that nothing needs to be jammed together onto a single rod or shelf.  Although I almost need a step stool to reach the second shelf on the right, having all of the rod and shelf space is great.  I know that I have way too many clothes here right now, but winter weather in Florida actually is more unpredictable than I thought.  I wore a wool jacket to church last week, and I was not too warm.  This Sunday, the weatherman says the temperature might reach 80.  Who can tell?  For now, everything fits into the closet, so I am content.

We arose early again today.  Sleep?  What is sleep?  Oh, yeah, that's what we used to do.  During the course of the day, we removed the master bedroom, hallway closet, and bathroom closet doors.  Rick painted the final coat on the second closet door for the guest bedroom, and then he painted the first coats on the three doors that we took down today.  While he painted those, I emptied the hallway closet and painted the first coat on the jambs of both the bedroom and hallway closet doors.  That may not seem like much, but this painting is very time consuming, and we are both sick of it.  Additionally, I am absolutely exhausted.

I thoroughly enjoy being able to take everything out of the closets and to finally reorganize what we have. Sadly, I also am finding things that I had forgotten we brought down with us.  Forgetfulness could not be a sign of old age now, could it?  In the hallway closet today, I discovered two forgotten candles, a third candle in a broken goblet (the only casualty of all the things we have moved), some super-strong zip-lock-like utility bags, and cross-stitch supplies that I never knew were hidden on the top shelf.  Wow!  This is almost like a treasure hunt. Hey, at my age you have to find fun where you can get it...

We needed some basic groceries, so we did take a break in late morning to get out to the store.  Steve had told us that a business in Palm Harbor called Steve's Produce had just opened a store in Dunedin.  The store is located near our house, and we were excited to hear that they sold Boar's Head meats in addition to fresh produce.  We took a trip there today and were very impressed.  Rick loves Boar's Head meat so much that he actually will drive to Appleton in Wisconsin just to buy it.  While we can get it at our local grocery store in here in Florida, we were able to purchase the same meat for $3.00/ pound LESS at Steve's Produce.  What a find!  While we were there, I also picked up some fresh tomatoes and two zucchini that I either will steam or make into bread.  I already know that Steve's Produce will be a weekly stop on our shopping agenda.  Thanks to "our" Steve for letting us know about it.
Massive doors cover the closet in the
guest bedroom.

Later in the day, we hung the second guest room closet door.  They are massive; however, since the eye follows them from floor to ceiling, the whole room seems larger.  The man at the millwork shop who suggested them said he had them in his house, and the large doors were "majestic."  I don't know if I would have chosen that adjective, but I think they will be all right.  I held up the handle where we will install it, and with that added, the door seemed more balanced.  We had discussed how we are going to cut the doors for the master bedroom closet, and I think we will have to just cut the bottoms as we did with these first doors.  With handles in place, the design is not jarring and the functionality will be intact.
Once we add casing and handles, the guest
room closet finally will be complete.

When we replaced all our our interior doors in our house in Wisconsin, we just sent them to a refinisher to spray.  I wish we could have sent all eleven of these doors out to be spray painted, but we know of no such shop and we do not have the budget for that anyway.  However, if they were done we would have saved hours --no, days-- of work.  This is a monumental task which is not over yet.  Rick mentioned this afternoon that we really need to go out and to get some casing to finish each of these doors.  Sigh.  More painting awaits.

I hope that Gladys appreciates all of the new "clothes" and accessories that we are getting for her.  In the end, every surface in this house will have been replaced, remodeled, refinished, or repainted. Each day we work hard toward making this house comfortable, fresh, and clean.  And once it is done, I hope that my wonderful husband will finally sit down and try to remember what a person does to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment