Thursday, November 9, 2017

Sparkling Clean

We spent this morning completing our cleaning project by pressure washing the south and the west sides of the house.  Then Rick and I went back and washed all of the windows.  I wish the windows in my Wisconsin house were this clean! The house does look much better, so the result was well worth the effort. While he was finishing the cleaning, I hosed down the screens so our views are clear again.

Rick uses the pressure washer to clean off Hurricane Irma
debris from the house.

The job took us most of the morning; however, as I mentioned before, mornings are our time to work.  We also wanted to get out early to wash the south side of the house before the sun got too intense on that side of the house.

We have a mystery, though.  We have noticed that the gutters on the south side of the house have mold growing on them on the outside. Now I could understand that if this were to happen to the elements on the north side of the house, but we cannot understand why mold would grow on the sunny south side.  If anyone has an explanation, I would love to hear it!

With the house all washed, we now have the opportunity to spray for bugs tomorrow.  We always forget how many creepy-crawly creatures inhabit the south until we have not had the chance to spray the perimeter of the house to keep them at bay.

After Rick finished the house, we moved on to the fence.  I was in the garage when he walked in carrying the damaged fence board that I noticed yesterday.  OK.  Apparently the board came out of the frame much more easily than we had anticipated.  We dug out a replacement board that we had stored in the rafters of the garage, and within 15 minutes we had the entire fence section back together.  Success!  We were very fortunate that our only storm damage cost us nothing and took us less than a half hour to repair.  I guess constructing the fence "the Anderson way" paid off in the end, as did our earlier efforts to reconstruct this house as hurricane resistant as possible.

The Schwan's man came today for the first time.  He was very happy we were back in town as we had ordered a literal freezer-full of food.  We now have enough meals to last us for months!  (And Owen, the Silvermint bar I had tonight was delicious.)

My last task of today was repotting my plant in the pot on the front porch.  The pot originally held two plants, but one died, so I had to repot and center the remaining plant.  It survived the hurricane nestled in the corner of the porch, thanks to my neighbor's efforts to tuck it away out of the wind. So I guess now I am obligated to keep it alive for the winter.

Perhaps tomorrow we can visit the nursery to see if we can find some plants to put in on the south side of the house.  The inside is complete; now we need to buy Gladys some flowers to make her pretty again.


No comments:

Post a Comment