Thursday, November 30, 2017

November 30, 2017

Today was almost a holiday in Florida since November 30 marks the last day of the hurricane season for 2017.  I am sure that no one was sad to see the season end.  This one caught Floridans, and that is something that has not happened in this state for a number of years.  In fact, the last hurricane to hit this city happened in 1921... almost 100 years ago.  We were lucky that Hurricane Irma downgraded to a Category 2 by the time it reached the area; however, that was strong enough for our tastes.  Had I been here, I am sure that I would have been terrified.

Yesterday Rick and I went to the Nursery and purchased two crotons for the back flower garden.  Yesterday I took the shrub nippers and cut off the top three feet of the gardenia tree in that garden.  The top had not filled in well, had probably been whipped too much by Irma, and just was not particularly appealing to view.  By cutting the top off, we now have a manageable tree that I want to fill in at the bottom.  I can keep this plant a bush rather than a tree with correct pruning.

Today before the sun got around to that garden, I cleaned out some of the debris (leaves, sticks, and pine needles) that were mixed with the stone.  I really need to take all of the stone out to do a thorough job, but I got off the surface mess for now, and that will have to suffice.  The neighbor cut down the pine tree, so I am thankful that no more messy needles will fall into the garden.

Two new crotons flank each side of the corner garden.

Two plants that I had put into the garden a few years ago did not thrive, so I took them out when we first arrived this fall.  I planted the two crotons in their place for a little color in the garden.  The type of croton I planted are fairly slow-growing, so I should be able to keep them pruned to a manageable size. I also had trimmed the Ti plant in back, so that is starting to grow well again also.

The result is a tidy garden for now that I will enjoy as I look out the back windows in the Florida room.

No comments:

Post a Comment