Saturday, September 8, 2018

Grass and Glue

Yesterday we actually took time from our house cleaning and room remodeling to tackle the grass.  We have had rain for so many days in a row that everyone's grass needed cutting, and I could hear a quartet of lawnmowers when I went outside to start our mower. I mowed the front and side yards since Rick said that he wanted to mow around the new grass in the back.

Our new grass has come in fairly well.  We have a couple
of bare spots where too much water puddled, but we hope
it will fill in eventually.
The next thing I knew, Rick was in the back cutting ALL of the grass.  He said that he saw that the grass was so high, so if he did not cut and bag it, it would be impossible to get through.  The grass in the front and side yards was dry, but some of the grass in the back was still soggy enough that at one point the mower got clogged with cut grass.  Rick filled a trio of bags that we will have to haul to the yard recycling center.  Lots of sunshine is predicted for the next week, so hopefully the yard will dry out before we have to mow the grass again.

Tonight after dinner we took a walk, as we usually do, around the neighborhood.  The wind was brisk and fall is definitely in the air.  I took a picture of one of the leaves I found to send to our neighbor in Florida.  She loves fall, so I thought I would share. I wish I were able to send some of the falling temperatures, too!

Preview of what awaits us...

Inside, our efforts have been on gluing together the nine slide-outs and five drawers for the cabinets.  We cut the bottoms for them and started the assembly.  Rick continued to work on them long after I quit for the day.

Lots of slide-outs and drawers still need varnish
and installation. 

The result is now 13 glued, clamped, unclamped, and sanded slide-outs and drawers.  We still have to glue the large file drawer because we had to take time today to cut the slits in the sides to hold the file rails.  Rick set up a jig and used his router to cut in the slots for the rails. Sometimes his creativity amazes me.  I will be able to get two sets of files side-by-side in the drawer, and that will give me more than enough space for everything I need to track and to store.

Exhaustion is becoming our new norm each evening.  Rick usually falls asleep in front of the TV, and I am so tired that I have not stayed awake for the 10:00 p.m. news in weeks.  Of course, that could not possibly be because we are getting old... could it?

No comments:

Post a Comment