Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Fun Continues

One thing that a homeowner can never claim is boredom due to a lack of tasks to complete. If a homeowner DOES claim boredom, either he is incredibly lazy or his house is not one that I would want to visit. Our work around Gladys never seems to end.
Rick "sits down on the job" while he muds the bottom
of the garage wall.

Yesterday morning Rick went back into the garage to work further on the walls.  Since there was not room for me to help in any way, I came indoors to seek out my next task.  As I walked into the Florida Room with the morning sunlight streaming in, the windows delivered a single message to me: wash me!  I can never understand how windows can get so dirty both inside and outside so often.
My unorthodox cleaning weapons: Windex
and a toothbrush!

Out came the paper towel, the Windex, and the cleaning toothbrush.  Toothbrush?  Yeah.  In addition to the windows themselves, I also needed to pay some attention to the tile that form the window sills for every room in this house. I love the tile, but the grout between each tile acts like a miniature dirt collector.  The only way to dislodge all of that dust and dirt is with Windex and a good old fashioned toothbrush.  After a couple of hours of labor, the insides of the windows were clean and the tile -- and grout lines -- were sparkling.  I still need to tackle the outsides of the windows, but that will have to wait until the weather warms up just a bit.  For our northern friends I am sure that temperatures in the 50s sounds balmy, but that is a bit chilly to wash windows around here.
Clean Florida Room windows provide a view of the south
side of our yard.

After lunch I helped Rick take down the old lumber rack and the 2 x 4 structures in the garage on which we had hooks hanging for brooms, tool racks, etc. With the structures off the wall, Rick was able to finish mudding the rest of the south wall in the garage.  With the cool, damp temperatures, the plaster will probably need two or three days to dry.

That's OK because Rick was already on to the next task: laying out the forms for the cement slab in the back yard.  That work will continue for probably the next week or two.  And then we will see if we can squeeze materials out of our almost-dead budget for a shed.  Time ... and retirement checks... will tell.
Lumber forms the layout of the slab for the some-day shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment