Saturday, March 26, 2016

Easter's On Its Way

I spent most of today getting ready for our Easter celebration tomorrow.  That included lots of cleaning, a little laundry, a bit of baking for our dessert, and just a touch more of baking tonight.

This morning we received a call from Owen who was excited to tell us that he went on an Easter Egg hunt and got to meet the Easter bunny who gave him lots of candy.  Apparently, the chocolate is good, but the Starburst candies and the Tootsie Rolls are something that is tasted and then spit out. He does not like the "chewy" kind of candy.  Must be a texture thing... or just being a two-year-old.

Owen also informed us that he was going to go to the Easter Bunny's "house" this afternoon.  Apparently while Santa lives at the North Pole, the Easter Bunny lives at Seroogies, a local candy store and chocolate shop that is well known in the Green Bay area.  Lindsay said they saw the Easter Bunny there last week, so Owen wants to go back to see him again today.  Ah, to be young!  I am glad that they can take him to all of those "little kid" adventures rather than me.  Crowds, and especially those filled with sugar-laden children, are beyond my patience level.

I have a fruit tray that I must get ready for church, but I will not put that together until just before bed this evening.  Church is early tomorrow, so I want to be able to just scoop it out of our refrigerator and go.  Tomorrow I also will put our meal in the crock-pot before church and bake fresh rolls as soon as we get home.

I wanted to make some cute egg "mice" that I saw on Facebook, but I could not come up with the correct ingredients.  These mice are just hard-boiled eggs cut in half, with radish ears, peppercorn eyes, and chive tails.  Sadly, the only radishes I could find were huge, and fresh chives were not to be found in the store.  Kudos to whomever came up with the idea, but these little guys will have to wait until perhaps this summer when radishes and chives are more in-season.

Egg "mice" surround a mound of freshly-cut cheese.

I mixed up another huge batch of cookies to use up some of the ingredients that I bought for the first batch-- oatmeal, chocolate chips, coconut, and Grape Nuts cereal.  The cookies are delicious, so I am happy to have a little extra to munch on tomorrow.  Fresh cookies always go over well.

Sadly, the only bummer of today is that Rick awoke with a terrible headache again.  He has been treating a migraine all day with little success.  The doctor gave him some new medication to try, but we both suspect that the headaches might come from the Clariton that he took last night.  I hope that he is feeling much better tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment