Thursday, November 10, 2016

Day 22: Bathroom Remodel

As we approach the finish line with this room, we are both excited to get everything in place.

Rick started with sanding the plaster from yesterday and getting a coat of primer on the new drywall before he showered and changed to drive with me to the doctor.
The south wall needs only the blinds installed
and a new windowsill to be complete.

My news is that the doctor took me off Imuran, a drug that I was taking to combat my immune system from attacking my muscles.  After three years, I am totally off all dermatomyositis drugs.  I am both elated and scared to death that I will have a relapse.  The elation comes from ceasing to take a drug that has some nasty side effects.  The fear is that I will have to start the drugs at a later date if my body starts to attack me again. I guess time will tell.

We returned home and Rick added a coat of teal paint on the walls.

After lunch, we met with Sarah to see what she had designed for the bathroom.  We also got an estimate that damn near stopped my heart.  Of course, the estimate had a "range" because we have not yet chosen tile. Still, I could pay for half a semester of college for Owen with what they estimate the job could cost.  Sadly, we have neither the will nor the skill to put up tile ourselves, so we will try to choose wisely, shut up, and pay to have the tub surround finished.

The larger tile coordinates well with the
tub and with the floor.
The smaller accent tile, however, just does not
look right in the room.

We looked at various tile and chose a couple of samples to bring home.  We liked the larger tile, but the tiny tile accent is a no-go.  We just do not like how they go together.  Also, we need to make sure that the tile does not fight with the countertop and flooring.  I hate picking out tile almost as much as I hate choosing carpeting or wallpaper.  You could not PAY me to be a designer.

Once home, Rick was anxious to put the bathroom back together.  We hung the new light fixture, and that part of the room I really love.  I think that once we get the new countertop and hang the mirror, that wall will look great.
Our new light adds a modern, bright touch to the room.

Naturally, just as Rick was trying to hang on to the light fixture to attach the wires, the Schwan's man came, so I had to take a break to take care of our order.  By the time I returned to the bathroom, Rick had the light installed.  We still have to run to the store to get bulbs, but at least that part of the job is done.

The vanity is back in place.  Now it awaits a
sink and granite countertop.

We completed today's work by putting the vanity back in place.  Then I called the granite company and set up an appointment to have them come out and measure for the granite and for the windowsill.  That measurement will take place on November 17.  We won't have a countertop installed by Thanksgiving, but that is OK.  We will have a working toilet in the room by that time, so that is good.

The toilet will go in tomorrow.  We will revisit Sarah to see if we can figure out what to do with the tile choice.  I suspect that Rick also will install the shower valve for the tub one of these fine days.

We were supposed to have the new electrical meter and mast inspected tomorrow, but we got a call from the electrical contractor saying that the inspectors will not be coming.  Tomorrow is Veteran's Day, a national holiday, so no city workers will be working.  The inspection is moved back to next week Monday, and that is fine, too.

Rick is "watching" the evening news by snoozing on the couch.  (I guess that's why we tape it!)  He worked hard today to get the room back together, and he is exhausted. We  both are glad that in a couple of weeks, the room will be complete.

1 comment:

  1. Laying tile (or putting it up on walls) isn’t easy - I’ve done it myself and next time I’ll pay someone for sure. It looks really great though and lasts forever, so it’s worth it. If there’s going to be any grout, make sure it’s treated and sealed - sure the contractor will take care of it but good to double check.

    Essie Reed @ Valley Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete