Thursday, April 6, 2017

Keeping Busy

I have concluded that our generation does not know how to relax.  We have been trained since a young age that we have to be doing something every moment of the day to be "productive," and that if we do not do so, we should be ashamed for being "lazy."  That notion, of course, is ludicrous.  The world will not end if we spend time reading a book, watching television, or taking a nap in the hammock.  Isn't that what we "earned" by working hard and saving our money all of those years?

So we are slowing transitioning, for the first time since 2012, into actually being "retired" people.  Yes, we still have things like landscaping that we want to complete here at Gladys, but the only money we have left needs to grow a bit more before we can consider our next tasks.  That will not happen until next season.

For now, we are starting to rediscover things that we used to enjoy doing before our hectic lives took over our world.  We actually went to the beach for only the second time this whole winter.  We briefly visited once when Stephanie was here, and we returned to the beach earlier this week.  The problem? While the sun brightly shone in the sky, a very strong wind was blowing inland across the cooler water, and we darn near froze to death.  We only lasted a little over an hour, and we were ready to come home.

We have rediscovered reading.  I love my Kindle because it easily packs into my purse and allows me to carry lots of books with me.  The backlight is good for reading in the evening or during power outages -- as long as I have been diligent in charging the Kindle!  Currently I am reading the second book -- The Winter of the World -- in Ken Follett's Century trilogy.  I am learning SO much about the true causes of the world wars and what went on behind the scenes.  Reading is educational if one choses the correct books. Rick has been reading Dan Silva's works in the Gabriel Allon series which gives background information on the Middle East Israeli/ Palestinian crisis.  Great weather, a good book, and a hammock.  What could be better?

Walnut staves and handle will blend with the
walnut furnishings in Stephanie's house.
The round basket will find lots of uses at Gladys.

We also have been keeping our hands busy with weaving.  Rick finally finished the two Nantucket baskets that he has been working on for the past four years.  The taller one is for Stephanie, and the more round one is for Gladys.  After sitting in the drawer for four years, sadly, the handle on the round one is bent a bit out of shape, but the basket still is beautiful.  Rick just received a new book on weaving Nantucket baskets.  I am eager for him to start on the cracker basket that he wants to finish next.  Now that most of the remodeling is complete, maybe I will not have to wait four years to use it!

This large cork trivet will protect our glass dining table.

Another trivet and two coaters complete the set.

I took time away from the loom to do some hand weaving with other materials.  I bought some sheets of cork and made some trivets and coasters.  Working with the cork was frustrating and messy because the cork is very fragile and rips easily.  I am pleased with the results, but I probably will not work with that material again.

The potholder is labeled so we can talk about
it when we go to the next Weaver's meeting.
The utilitarian brown potholders are great
for the outdoor grill.

I also put some old yard on the loom to try some twill variations.  Since the yarn was scrap yarn more than true loom weaving yarn, it stretched more than I had hoped.  For fun, I just wove some potholders, and I finished the edges in different ways to see what I liked and what I would not do again.  I added two layers of quilt batting between the woven material to make them heat resistent.

I used up red and green yarn scraps for this
"Christmas" potholder.
I have three yellow and brown potholders
that I can use in Gladys' blue kitchen.

The result is that I have a variety of patterns and some functional pot holders for the grill and for the kitchen.  And if they get stained or burned (which sometimes happens...), I will not feel badly about throwing them out.

Exercise still is a key part of each day.  We either bike or walk, and keeping up with yard work and house work also keeps us from sitting around too much.

I have just spent too long at this computer, so now is the time for me to do something physical to keep going.  Retirement can  be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment