Saturday, November 15, 2014

Almost Finished

I made the mistake yesterday of telling Andy that we were "ready to go" by 8:00 a.m., so he arrived at our door this morning at approximately 7:58.  I was just drying my hair, and Rick had just finished shaving.  At least we were out of the shower, dressed, and fed by that time.

Andy immediately started on grouting the shower.  The grout was a little darker than I remembered from the sample, but I see now that it is starting to dry a little lighter.  Joel soon joined him and by 10:00 a.m. they were nearly finished with the job.  Although the grout job once again is adequate, I would have appreciated a little more finesse on Andy's part.  We are going to let it dry for a couple of days and discuss our concerns with Mike when he comes to our house.
Once the grout dries, we will complete the
final plumbing ourselves.

Mike was supposed to come today to pick up his final check, but he called and said he was ill.  I believe him.  He sounded terrible.  I thanked him for NOT coming to our house; I do not need anyone else's germs to fight off right now, and I certainly do not want to end up in the hospital like I did last November.

We have noticed a couple of problems with the shower.  On the floor, one of the grout lines has a pin-hole sized hole in it that will do nothing but capture water.  That will have to be addressed.  Also on the shower floor, we have two tile that are angled in such a way that very sharp corners are waiting to rip into the bottom of our feet.  I also am not pleased with the grout at the very front of the drain.  I think that more needs to be added to make that a better transition.  Mike said that they will take care of any problems that we find, and when he comes to our house again, we will make sure that he is true to his word.
We think the color of the grout is fine, and the tile blends well
with the white fixtures and woodwork.

Neither of us is happy with the amount of grout that is at the front of the shower where the tile meets the wall, but we are hoping that some well-placed paint will help to minimize those areas once we can do some touch-up painting in the room.  Don't get me wrong.  Tiling this shower is NOT a job that either one of us wanted to tackle, and I am sure that we would not have done as good a job as Andy did in getting the rows all uniform and level.  We are just disappointed in a few of the details, but once the doors are in, we hope that those problems, too, will fade to the background.
Heavy grout next to the wall will need a little paint.

After being in the house for the last two and one-half days, we were ready to get out.  After Andy and Joel left, we decided to go to Tampa and to visit the Container Store.  The store is one of our favorite places to shop, so we had a good time buying a few containers for the kitchen and one stocking stuffer for the coming holiday season.

When we returned home, we both took on a scrubbing job.  I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the very dirty kitchen floor while Rick hauled out the hose and washed both the car and the truck.  Unreal!  We Wisconsinites are not used to having temperatures in the 70s in November that allow us to wash the vehicles in our driveway.  The black truck shines so much right now that it actually hurts my eyes.
Wow!  A clean truck!

We are pleased with our progress this year.  The water softener is working well, the bathroom fan purrs when we need it to do so, and now the main part of the shower project is complete.  Yes, we still have some painting and baseboard to complete in the bathroom, and we also must wait to have the shower doors ordered and delivered, but we consider that project, too, almost behind us.  Someone from Largo Glass will be here tomorrow to measure for the doors; they should be ready for installation just after Thanksgiving.

On Friday, the fence materials arrive.  The fence, if it does not kill us, will be our last major project of this season.  I wish I could snap my fingers and have it done, but reality tells me we must face lots of sore muscles and long days before we complete that project.  Last project.  Yeah, right.  Rick is already talking about putting in a slab and building a storage shed if we can scrape together the money.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment