Monday, November 3, 2014

And the Paint Goes On

We spent the weekend doing those not-so-exciting finishing jobs on the bathroom ceiling and walls.

Saturday was dedicated to wiring.  Thank heavens Rick is really good at figuring what wires need to be connected to what other wires. In the end, the fan and light both work in our new master bathroom.  All it took was a little wire, a lot of time, and a very expensive GFCI breaker box.  How wonderful to be able to  shower and to not have the whole room fill with steam!
We attached the lighted cover to the fan just to make sure
that both the fan and the light work.  Success!

Mudding the walls and especially the ceiling has been a daily chore.  If there is one thing that no one seems to like, it is adding mud on the walls to make new walls blend with older surroundings. The new and old never seem to seamlessly meld.  Being a good mudder, I guess, is a real art; it certainly is a skill that is not a part of my traits.
Overhead work is always a pain (quite literally), so we will
both be glad when this is completed.

This morning I had an early morning doctor's appointment.  I was supposed to reduce my medication this past Saturday, but I held off doing so because I have felt so fatigued and sore lately.  After looking at blood test results and testing my strength, the physician's assistant told me that my fatigue had to do with me trying to do too much too quickly, and that my physical changes had nothing to do with my reduction of medication.  She wants be to continue to reduce my medication because the long-term side effects are not good.  Her advice to both Rick and me is that we slow down, do just a little each day, and take whatever time we need to finish a project.  It may not get done on Rick's time schedule, but in the end we both will be healthier for not overdoing the amount of work each day.

Rick went before lunch back to the Permit office to try once again to submit the correct documentation to get a permit for the fence.  I refused to go along, although the rise in my usually low blood pressure probably would have made me feel better.  They accepted his paperwork, so now we will just have to wait and see if they approve this latest round of paperwork.

While he was gone, I ate lunch. Because I usually sit with my back to the front of the house when I eat, I did not notice anyone approaching our house.  When Rick came home from his errands, he said, "What's with this burlap?"  Just off of our front porch was a folded-up length of burlap with what looks like mother-in-law tongue on it.  The plant is there, green, with roots ready to plant in the yard.  I have no idea who left it or even if someone left it at the correct house.  We spent forever when we first moved into this house digging up mother-in-law tongue plants, so I certainly am not going to start all over by planing whatever it is that someone left me.

This morning Rick primed the ceiling and walls where he has put on plaster the last few days.  Now he is working on the first of the finish coats.  He wants to get the painting done so the bathroom is ready for the plumbers and the tilers when the tile comes in (hopefully) this week.
Rick adds a coat of primer to seal the bare drywall.

Once the wall is repainted, no one will know that an old
box with wires used to be in this wall.

As soon as the painting is complete, we are on to our next project: the water softener.  The fun just never ends around here.




No comments:

Post a Comment