Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Creating New Habits

Now that we are finished with our major remodeling work, we are in a position to set some new habits.  We started one yesterday.

Our very expensive bikes (actually trikes) have been silently sending me guilt messages because the tires needed air, the vehicles themselves have been little more than occasionally dusted this season, and my energy to do anything about the situation has been low.  That changed on Monday.

On that day I took the time to pump up all three tires on the trike.  Rick did the same for his bike so they would be ready to ride on Tuesday.  On that day, we took a "maiden" ride around the neighborhood.  I did not know how my muscles or my energy would respond, but I was nicely surprised when we toured the neighborhood with no pain nor trauma.  Granted, we only went a couple of miles, but it was good to rediscover those leg muscles that have not seen much use beyond walking.

Today we again went out early while the weather was cool.  We followed our "normal" route up the street, through the park, down a boulevard, and finally onto the Pinellas Trail.  We were a bit surprised to see how busy it was.  I guess everyone was taking advantage of the cooler morning temperatures to get in their workout for the day.

We did not push it too much, going our normal route a bit north and then south onto a street that connects back to our neighborhood.  We rode about 4.4 miles.  Nothing astounding, but a good beginning to a new exercise habit for both of us.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment